[quagga-dev 522] Re: Question about ospf_network_match_iface function

Paul Jakma paul at clubi.ie
Thu Dec 4 23:44:05 GMT 2003

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, Greg Troxel wrote:

> OK, so it just hard to follow!

Yes it is. :)

It should be cleaned up.

> This seems likely.  So therefore there is no point in trying to
> accomodate not including ppp links that have such overlaps.

Exactly.

> I think we are only talking about the router including the network
> lsa for the link, whether ospf _runs_ over ppp is another matter.

Hmm... AIUI non-OSPF interfaces or down/dead OSPF interfaces should
not be described in the router-lsa, 12.4.1 is pretty clear about
that.

If one wants non-OSPF interfaces to be described, then one must
redistribute them into OSPF as as-external routes (ie redistribute
connected).

Aside to the audience: I cant emphasise enough that the "network
..... area X" command is *not* intended as a means to get links and
their IPs advertised into OSPF. Its for enabling OSPF on interfaces
which are connected to other OSPF routers.  Always use "redistribute
connected" to have remaining interfaces described to the OSPF domain
(ie do not add unneccessary network statements).

> This may not be the end state, but I think it helps a lot to make
> things easier to follow.  Any comments, or should I commit it?

Seems eminently more readable than the original hack, fire away! :)

	warning: do not ever send email to spam at dishone.st
Fortune:
Heavier than air flying machines are impossible.
		-- Lord Kelvin, President, Royal Society, c. 1895