[quagga-dev 487] Re: Linux kernel routing table support for daemons, too?

Brian May bam at debian.org
Mon Nov 17 21:02:09 GMT 2003

On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 11:08:15AM +0100, Krzysztof Oledzki wrote:
> > > Maybe this is already possible, but if so I couldn't work out how. In
> > > this case, I would be grateful for a pointer to the documentation on how
> > > to do it.
> > >
> > > Anyway, I want Zebra to only read/write routing rules to my "default"
> > > kernel table (ie. the routine table called "default", or 253).
>
> What is wrong with 254/main table?

In my situation, I have two upstream Internet feeds. What
I intend to have is:

rules:

1   --> main  (default routes for all dial-in PPP connections and eth0.
100 --> APANA (packets with APANA source address, goes to ippp0)
101 --> SWS   (packets with SWS source address, goes to ppp0)
254 --> default (default for anything that doesn't match one of the above)
255 --> main (not used)

If I have quagga but rules in main, then this overrides the APANA
and SWS rules, but I don't want it to.

This causes problems for instance, if I send packets with a APANA
source address via SWS, they will get dropped by an aggressive
firewall policy upstream SWS who consider it a forged IP address.

Consider for instance if somebody pings my APANA ip address, I want to
reply to always by symmetric and go back via APANA even if the best
route would be back via SWS.

There are some other issues I need to think about, I don't have
time right now though.

> > > This is because I want Zebra routes to take a lower priority then my
> > > main table, according to the ip kernel rules I have already configured.
>
> It is possible to add another table (for example: 5) with higher priority
> and all required routes into this table.

The rules aren't static, and I can't see any easy way of telling ppp
for instance that it should put the routes in another table instead of
main.
(I hope I understood you).
--
Brian May <bam at debian.org>