[quagga-dev 1020] Re: Linux and netlink

Paul Jakma paul at clubi.ie
Wed Apr 7 16:44:12 BST 2004

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004, Hasso Tepper wrote:

> 1) Increasing buffer size with SO_RCVBUF. I got it working with
> huge buffers, but I wouldn't rely on it in production system. There
> is no way I can quarantee that I don't hit limit again if number of
> vlan interfaces is increased.

> But all this netlink stuff sounds quite dangerous for me and should be
> fixed somehow IMHO. According to linux network developers correct
> solution would be detect that something was lost and resync:
>
> http://oss.sgi.com/projects/netdev/archive/2001-01/msg00215.html

Yep.

And one of the things I'd like to do soonish is get workqueues nice
enough to merge in (tisnt at moment), then one of the things that can
make use of it is rt_netlink to keep proper track of and also
coalesce netlink requests.

> Ideas?

Lets bump the buffer up for 0.96.5.

	warning: do not ever send email to spam at dishone.st
Fortune:
It is the nature of extreme self-lovers, as they will set an house on fire,
and it were but to roast their eggs.
		-- Francis Bacon