[quagga-dev 1027] Re: Linux and netlink

Paul Jakma paul at clubi.ie
Thu Apr 8 10:03:19 BST 2004

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004, Hasso Tepper wrote:

> It's not so easy. From man 7 socket:
>
> SO_RCVBUF
> Sets  or  gets  the maximum socket receive buffer in bytes. The
> default value is set by the rmem_default sysctl and the maximum
> allowed value is set by the rmem_max sysctl.
>
> hasso at test3:/proc/sys$ cat /proc/sys/net/core/rmem_default
> 65535
> hasso at test3:/proc/sys$ cat /proc/sys/net/core/rmem_max
> 65535

ah dear, yes.

> I got my router working with 524280. Btw, it depends what features
> you have enabled in router. Enabled multicast and ipv6 make things
> worse of course (more routes are added when interface is upped).

yes.

> It wasn't so bad with older zebra, btw and I have feeling that one
> patch (http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=zebra&m=102379207214720&w=2)
> made things worse.

Quite possibly.

Could we then just document the rmem_max sysctl and make the rcvbuf
configurable? (we cant twiddle the sysctl because the kernel doesnt
honour CAP_NET_ADMIN for net related sysctl's) (and grr #2, iirc
zebra reads the routing table before it parses the config file).

	warning: do not ever send email to spam at dishone.st
Fortune:
You plan things that you do not even attempt because of your extreme caution.