[quagga-dev 1389] Re: Bounty for netlink/zebra desync problem

Paul Jakma paul at clubi.ie
Wed Aug 11 04:19:51 BST 2004

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 alex at pilosoft.com wrote:

> To help expedite this, I'll put 250$ bounty on the fix.

wowser :)

> Fix should include:
> * automatic detection that message was lost and resynchronizing

Ie, when ENOBUFS errno is encounter in
rt_netlink.c::netlink_parse_info().

> * a way to initiate resync manually, whether by signal or command-line

This shouldnt be neccessary, if netlink can resync when needed.

> This should be for *both* routing messages and interface IP address
> changes.

Note that Hasso has a patch:

http://hasso.linux.ee/quagga/pending-patches/ht-20040512-netlink-rcvbuf.patch

with which one can mitigate the problem by specifying a bigger
receive buffer for the netlink socket on the zebra command line.
Indeed, with a big enough receive buffer, the need for troublesome
resyncs dissappears..

Reisner's Rule of Conceptual Inertia:
 	If you think big enough, you'll never have to do it.