[quagga-dev 1395] Re: link-detect issues (not quite working)

Paul Jakma paul at clubi.ie
Wed Aug 11 14:14:44 BST 2004

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004, Vincent Jardin wrote:

> It is too complicate to manage these states into a Kernel (what ever BSD or
> Linux). It is easy to remove the connected routes, but it is more complicate
> to restore them.

Hmm, well the events are there, the kernel could remove the connected
routes. I suspect it's more to do with possible breakage that would
occur with non-link-running aware apps that expect to be able to send
packets out a specific interface by specifying the appropriate
connected address, possibly.

> In fact, I think that the best approach is to stop redistributing
> the connected routes to the protocols when the link is removed. It
> means that the connected route should not have the ">" (selected
> route). Then the routing protocols will stop announcing them.

Could do that, yes.

Note that OSPF, for active links, already takes care of dealing with
dead-but-up links in the protocol.

> Regards,
> Vincent

Second-sytem effect.