[quagga-dev 710] Re: ripd status

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Tue Jan 13 14:58:37 GMT 2004

  > Having things marked ZEBRA_IFA_SECONDARY for (all but one of)
  > prefixes/addresses which are prefix_cmp-equal to another address sounds

  no, it does not.. how can ripd know the difference between the case
  when a secondary address is a duplicated prefix (don't send packets)
  as compared to when it is not (2 connected networks/links/prefixes- send
  packet).

This is why the semantics of ZEBRA_IFA_SECONDARY need to be defined
precisely, or perhaps something else, and then interface and address
adding/deleting modified to respect those invariants.  Clearly one can
tell the difference between 2 addrs in one prefix and 2 addrs in
different prefixes.

It remains to be seen whether this is what ZEBRA_IFA_SECONDARY really
means, though.

  I think the linux kernel also sets it, but afaik BSD does not. And of course,
  there's no concept of alias/secondary on Solaris. I don't know what the
  other flavors of unix do.

You mean on solaris you can't ifconfig 2 ip addrs on the same prefix
on an interface?