[quagga-dev 723] Re: Can RIP jitter be made tunable?

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Tue Jan 13 19:05:59 GMT 2004

  Hi.  I'm using zebra to advert RIPv2 pkts out every 10 secs and I'm afraid
  the hardcoded RIP jitter might cause flaps.  I'm wondering if it could be
  made tunable:

Your patch is backwards (but that's not a big deal in understanding it).

I cannot follow the logic here.  The original code seems to generate a
random value from 0 to time (inclusive), and then subtract half of
time.
So the result it between -time/2 and time/2, more or less.
With the patch, it looks like etiher 0, 1 or 2, then - 1, so either
-1, 0 or +1.

Can you explain what's wrong in the 10s case and how the original code
behaves?  It clearly seems intended to scale with an interval.

--
        Greg Troxel <gdt at ir.bbn.com>