[quagga-dev 727] Re: Can RIP jitter be made tunable?

Anthony.Golia at morganstanley.com Anthony.Golia at morganstanley.com
Tue Jan 13 19:52:12 GMT 2004

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, Krzysztof Oledzki wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 Anthony.Golia at morganstanley.com wrote:
>
> > It may be OK, I'm testing it now under various failure scenarios and
> > traffic load.  It just seems that -time/2 -> time/2 is too wide a gap.
> > If I configure zebra to advert every 10 secs, I expect it to advert every 10
> > secs (+/- 1 sec).  I'm adverting to a Cisco router which I'm afraid (I may
> > be wrong) wouldn't have the tolerence.
>
> Why? The most important timer is the timeout times. It is usualy (and
> should be) much larger than update timer.

that's what i thought.  an engineer here is telling me that the cisco
router will ignore the RIP updates if they're out of sync.  I'll test and
let you know.  That said, it does seem wrong to have zebra send out RIP
adverts every 15 secs (which it could potentially do) if I config it to
send every 10 secs.

> Best regards,
>
> 			Krzysztof Olędzki

Cheers,