[quagga-dev 1322] Re: libtool support about to be added

Paul Jakma paul at clubi.ie
Thu Jul 1 00:36:14 BST 2004

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, Greg Troxel wrote:

> While trying this out, I found something curious: All/most of
> daemons (besides zebra) build most of their .os into a library, and
> all but ospfd do not install this library.
>
> Can anyone explain why these libraries exist?

No idea really. Maybe Kunihiro reckoned some of the functions would
be more generally useful, no idea really.

> Does anyone use them?

OSPF-API uses libospf.

> It seems that the ospf one should not be installed, and probably
> the library should not even be built, since the link line for ospfd
> doesn't use it, instead putting
>
> ospfd_SOURCES = \
>        ospf_main.c $(libospf_a_SOURCES)
>
> I'm hesitant to change this without understanding why it's there, but
> I'd like to make libospf "noinst_" (to avoid installing it).

OSPF-API needs it. So it needs to be installed if one wishes to link
OSPF-API using applications. For the RPMs, it's only installed with
the quagga-devel package.

Feel free to suggest better ways. Eg, ospf_api.o could be made into a
shared library as well as libospf. (?)

 	warning: do not ever send email to spam at dishone.st
Fortune:
Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy.