[quagga-dev 1325] Re: libtool support about to be added

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Thu Jul 1 13:29:40 BST 2004

Paul Jakma <paul at clubi.ie> writes:

> On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, Greg Troxel wrote:

> > It seems that the ospf one should not be installed, and probably the
> > library should not even be built, since the link line for ospfd
> > doesn't use it, instead putting
> >
> > ospfd_SOURCES = \
> >        ospf_main.c $(libospf_a_SOURCES)
> >
> > I'm hesitant to change this without understanding why it's there, but
> > I'd like to make libospf "noinst_" (to avoid installing it).
>
> OSPF-API needs it. So it needs to be installed if one wishes to link
> OSPF-API using applications. For the RPMs, it's only installed with
> the quagga-devel package.

Ah, so libospf should be installed, and thus might as well be shared.

> Feel free to suggest better ways. Eg, ospf_api.o could be made into a
> shared library as well as libospf. (?)

seems suboptimal for the bulk of ospfd to get linked into a program
that wants to get at the LSA db.  Perhaps eventually we can split out
only the files that are needed.  A quick attempt to link with only a
few didn't lead to success.  My guess is that a strategy of
identifying the functions that are needed and putting them in their
own files is sensible, but only after clearly documenting the intended
dependencies.

For now I'll just make the ospf library shared.

--
        Greg Troxel <gdt at ir.bbn.com>