[quagga-dev 1478] Re: link detection on NetBSD

Andrew J. Schorr aschorr at telemetry-investments.com
Mon Sep 13 17:15:11 BST 2004

On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 11:22:43AM -0400, Miles Nordin wrote:

>    ajs> In the past, link-detect state has been stored in the
>    ajs> IFF_RUNNING flag bit.  Is that not possible
>
> BSD apparently has a different API for link-detect that supports three
> states: up, down, and unknown.  The flag is inside the ifm_data field
> of RTM_IFINFO messages along with the statistics.  BSD also has
> IFF_RUNNING, but uses it for something different, I'm not sure what.

OK, I guess it really depends on what BSD is using the IFF_RUNNING flag
for.  The question is whether there's really more than one bit of
information here.  If IFF_RUNNING is not conveying any useful
info on BSD, then shouldn't you be able to simply load the
ifm->ifm_data.ifi_link_state value into the IFF_RUNNING flag?

-Andy