[quagga-dev 1506] Re: [patch] Interface Renaming Support Take 2

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Tue Sep 14 15:20:30 BST 2004

  [example of nondeterministic attachment of interfaces]

Thanks; that's helpful.  So in your case the goal is to name the
interfaces so that they will align with configuration data that is
already bound to those names, and you intend to do this once, on boot,
to get things in the single correct state, and then stay there.

So if I understand correctly, the 'renaming' patch is just about
correctly handling the rename event, and the goal is that after the
rename quagga is in the same state it would have been if the interface
had come up on the new name in the first place.

I was wondering if there was a desire to have configuration on the old
name follow to the new name, and that seemed overly complicated,
especially without a compelling example.