[quagga-dev 1544] Re: Multiple OSPF

Paul Jakma paul at clubi.ie
Tue Sep 28 13:46:36 BST 2004

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004, John Smith wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible using Quagga, to create multiple OSPF routers on one
> linux machine?

It isnt no, ospfd checks whether there is already a copy running. You
could try disabling that check (it checks the pidfile), and see how
far you get.

> I want to do a scalability test, and i want to peer up with some 10
> OSPF routers, so that when i send them some LSUpdates, they all
> reply me back with their ACKs. I want to know if i can do this
> using Quagga?

With caveat above, maybe. If you're careful to configure each ospfd
so that they dont stomp on each other. Even so, I think you might run
into problems as to how each ospfd reacts to receiving packets from
the other (if you want to use only one interface).

> Can i create secondary addresses on Quagga, and enable OSPF on all
> of them and peer up with my DUT? Will this work out?

You cant run OSPF on secondary addresses.

You can run OSPF on different addresses (ie not secondary, ie
addresses which are in different subnets) on same interface.

> Cheers,
> Smith

Equal bytes for women.