[quagga-dev 1558] Re: [quagga-users 2787] Re: Multiple OSPF

Karthikeyan Nathillvar ntkarthik at ittc.ku.edu
Tue Sep 28 16:31:18 BST 2004

I am Karthikeyan Nathillvar, working as a quality assurance engineer at
Ipsum networks, Philadelphia. I have been working on zebra/quagga for
quite some time. I have also worked as QA engineer Intern at IpInfusion
(Ishi's firm), California. I have a good knowledge of this zebra stack. I
am a keen observer of this mailing list.

At Ipsum, we were facing the same problem, when there was a need a to run
multiple ZOB routers (Zebra, OSPF, BGP) in single Linux machine. We
followed the following steps to solve this problem:

	1. Disable all the checks that don't allow you to run multiple
           instances of the daemons.
	2. Create an assocation (just logical) such that one ZOB router
	   has only one Zebra, one OSPF and one BGP process.
	3. Each ZOB router is allocated a separate routing table.
	   (Using Linux kernel's multiple routing table support).
	   This will avoid the routing table clash.
	4. Redistribution of routes among the protocols was
	   restricted such that it can happen within one ZOB router.
	5. If you want to have forwarding (Say for establishing BGP
           sessions) between different ZOB routers, you shall setup
	   appropriate forwarding rules using Iptable's support.

  I might have left out some details involved in solving this problem. As
the discussion progresses, I shall answer any questions that may arise.

best regards,
karthik.

--
Office:
-------

 "Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. "
 - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)