[quagga-dev 3115] Re: list loop cleanup/audit

Hasso Tepper hasso at estpak.ee
Tue Apr 5 16:24:48 BST 2005

Andrew J. Schorr wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 03:32:00PM +0100, Paul Jakma wrote:
> > Personally, I think squashing bugs is far more important than trying
> > to stay as compatible as possible for ease of merging ever more
> > hypothethical GNU Zebra changes..
>
> I agree with you, but I do not ever merge code from zebra; I was just
> trying to be sympathetic to others who might.
>
> For myself, I agree that vanquishing all bugs is the highest priority!
> As far as I'm concerned, you can go ahead, but perhaps others disagree...

There are two separate issues with it. The one is merge from GNU Zebra. I
see a lot of good work done by Yasuhiro and Akihiro. Merging last changes
from Akihiro are still in my TODO list. Lets face it - I don't see any
resources to duplicate this work. It would be extremely stupid IMHO not to
benefit from this. I understand that difference between Quagga and Zebra
will grow though. In fact I almost like the listloop cleanup now. Just
remember - I will continue to merge changes from GNU Zebra code anyway, I'm
just asking not to make my life harder. ;)

Another issue is third party developers which was my main objection
regarding initial patch. We have at least two big public projects which are
based on Quagga - Linux MPLS and HSLS. I know about 10 in house projects in
various companies which are based on Quagga or Zebra. Some of them are
based on quite old Zebra code. There are probably many more projects like
these. Quagga isn't just piece of software - it's platform for many
solutions. We should respect these developers. Therefore we should have
rules to deprecate API _and_ document API changes. Deprecating is there
already, seems. Lets think what we can do about documenting these changes.

About current patch. I don't object to the changes in ospf6d and bgpd. Paul
knows the reason ;). In fact I fixed ospf6d crash in the 0.98 branch before
the release, see the log message ;).

--
Hasso Tepper
Elion Enterprises Ltd.