[quagga-dev 3300] Re: zebra rib work queue

Paul Jakma paul at clubi.ie
Mon Apr 25 18:20:51 BST 2005

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005, Paul Jakma wrote:

> Hi,

> On my overloaded 800MHz Athlon box (which does PPPoE, NFS file serving, LDAP,
> lots of stuff), it also manages (mostly) to do it in 5s or so, but sometimes
> in 30s to 40s, where before it would reasonably consistently take about 30s
> to 40s.

Though, sometimes even quicker even for the non-rib-queue case. And I
know why now - i noticed bgpd 'unblocked' while zebra still continued
to receive messages. Andrew's lovely zclient buffering changes :)

Andrew: Is there any way to make it switch from 'try flush
immediately' to 'buffer and let thread IO write out rest' sooner?
Would be a great help.

Further, to revisit the memory thingy, would it be an idea to add
X{{M,C}ALLOC,FREE}_CACHED defines and have caching enabled only for
specific known-safe mtype's? If so, I can try testing that out see if
makes any real world difference; rib queue, buffering and thread are
all big users of malloc.

Living on Earth may be expensive, but it includes an annual free trip
around the Sun.