[quagga-dev 3866] Re: Question about date & time changing in QUAGGA .

Paul Jakma paul at clubi.ie
Mon Dec 5 12:01:51 GMT 2005

On Mon, 5 Dec 2005, Paul Jakma wrote:

> This comes up regularly. As things stand, "don't do that". Set your
> clock early at boot if you must and leave it alone after that, or
> run ntpd.
>
> It comes up often enough though that it'd be good if someone went
> and added more robust relative time routines to Quagga. As well as
> audit all the code (thread subsystem is not the only user of time).

Oh, and you can't have your cake and eat it btw. For some purposes we
simply *must* have a monotonic time-source, stable across
resets/reboots. The only convenient source is the absolute system
clock - though note that /accuracy/ is *not* required.

See the documentation on OSPFv2 and MD5 authentication.

"You've got to have a gimmick if your band sucks."
 		-- Gary Giddens