[quagga-dev 3870] Re: Configure rtadv from another software

Paul Jakma Paul.Jakma at Sun.COM
Tue Dec 6 13:52:49 GMT 2005

Hi Romain,

On Tue, 6 Dec 2005, Romain KUNTZ wrote:

> Paul Jakma wrote:

> I first have to re-write some part of the code (I currently use the
> libnetlink and libpthread, which can be avoided using some of the
> quagga functions).

Ah.

> Then I can provide a patch against CVS if changes are accepted by
> mainteners.

Look forward to it.

> Actually this is quite limited. For example you cannot tune the RA
> options such as the lifetime advertised in the RA etc. So I am not
> sure this feature is really usable in the real world.

That could be set in advance though? I.e. the configuration information
would be pre-configured, just the sending of RAs would be conditional.

> In my environment (Mobile Networks) I cannot use such idea. I do not
> know if you are familiar with NEMO, but the Mobile Routers have a
> tunnel to their home agent in which usually no route are advertised.
> Using the "dynamic routing" mode in NEMO may match your scenario.
> However this mode is not implemented in the implementation I use :P

Ah. Interesting.

I'm interested in the 'real world IPv6 site' case and how RAs should be
managed/propogated across an entire site. Some kind of framework for
having conditional advertisements could be interesting for both of us.

> Romain

--paulj