[quagga-dev 3873] Re: Configure rtadv from another software

Paul Jakma Paul.Jakma at Sun.COM
Wed Dec 7 07:18:46 GMT 2005

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005, Romain KUNTZ wrote:

> Yes exactly. The patch I sent works exactly as you describe: all
> parameters have to be pre-configured, only the prefix does not need to
> be configured. It is automatically added when a new address is setup
> on the interface, and removed when the address is deleted.

> However, this is not enough for prefix delegation, as the prefix delegated
> may have a specific lifetime that you may want to include in the RA.

Indeed.

The only solution for that would be some kind of additional multiple-hop
/ site-wide router-router-advertisement protocol. It could be done piggy
backing on some other protocol (iBPG as a seperate SAFI/AFI possibly, or
Opaque OSPF), or as a standalone protocol (probably better).

> Do you mean a framework in Quagga? This would be really useful.

Something that solves distribution of prefixes on a site wide basis.
(or, to remote NEMO agents - i dont know much about NEMO I'm afraid).

> Unfortunately I do not have the time to work on that at this moment,
> that's why I only coded this little hack. I hope you can move forward
> on this though.

I don't intend to do much on this either at this time I'm afraid.

--paulj