[quagga-dev 3881] Re: tiny zserv problem on solaris

Paul Jakma paul at clubi.ie
Wed Dec 7 15:08:57 GMT 2005

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005, Greg Troxel wrote:

> It's the same issue, but this is another case, where we really want
> to have a predicate in the daemon "does the interface have the foo
> property" and that has to check different kernel flags on different
> operating systms.

Aha. You're saying we should abstract flags we know and care about?
How far do we take it?

> I was suggesting that you add kernel flags to zserv.  Then we can
> migrate usage of flags that deviates from 'standard', where
> historically this means the common ancestor 4.4BSD to use
> kernel_flags, and then standardize semantics of zebra flags.  If
> you do this (add kernel flags) you might as well change the size of
> zebra flags to 64 bits to avoid future format changes.

ACK.

> Even if you don't do anything about kernel flags, it would be nice to
> put it in the zserv protocol now to avoid another flag flag day.  Once
> done, it might as well have exactly the kernel interface flags,
> though, even if it's just carried and not used for now.

Right, I get you now.

Could we use this abstracted zebra flags for link-state too? Or keep
it seperate? (Probably should be seperate, given link-state would be
better represented by a number/enum than a set of independent flags).

> In summary, I see this as a way with little additional work and no
> additional pain to make incremental progress on flags cleanup.

ACK, good idea.

electro-magnetic pulses from French above ground nuke testing.