[quagga-dev 3844] RIP advertising metric 0

John Smith jsmith4112003 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Nov 25 04:48:15 GMT 2005

Hi,

I am receiving RIP routes with metric 0. Is this allowed?

I understand that RIP internally assigns metric 0 to directly connected interfaces, but
when it advertises such routes, shouldnt we add 1 to it?

This is because RFC 2543 says that "The metric field contains a value between 1 and 15
(inclusive) which specifies the current metric for the destination; or the value 16
(infinity), which indicates that the destination is not reachable."

Thanks,
John