[quagga-dev 3719] Re: BGP distribution into OSPF / next-hop is dropped?

Paul Jakma paul at clubi.ie
Wed Oct 5 23:39:29 BST 2005

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005, Joe Rhett wrote:

> R2 is a multi-gigabit switch with hundreds of 10/100 ports and
> dozens of gigabit links.  I am unaware of anything I could build
> with quagga to replace that :-(

Well, you can think of a L2 switch with VLAN capability as a "port
expander and L2 forwarding-offload" device for routers.. A way to add
lots of interfaces to your L3 router without having to burden it with
L2 forwarding.

Ie, one possible solution to your problem might be to put R1 and R3
on the same L2 "segment" using VLANs - rather than having the switch
involved in L3 forwarding.

Presuming the link between R1 and R2 has at least twice the bandwidth
available of traffic you normally see go out via R3, that could work.
Depends on your topology too I guess.

I am learning that criticism is not nearly as effective as sabotage.