[quagga-dev 3676] Re: Patch to fix multicast problem on FreeBSD 5.x

Paul Jakma paul at clubi.ie
Fri Sep 23 06:35:32 BST 2005

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005, Andrew J. Schorr wrote:

> I don't have strong feelings about this.  If there's a consensus,
> then we can change the state to use 2 bits, and solve the problem
> with extra logic in ospf_if_set_multicast.

> in ripd).  It seems to me that we should either push it down into the
> setsockopt_multicast_ipv4 function so the patch is in one spot, or we
> should push it up to a higher level on the theory that there's a
> logical problem here that needs to be understood and handled by the
> user code...

I think we should we push it down to setsockopt_multicast_ipv4(), the
'uncertain' state (due to this dropped-while-down? problem anyway) is
then contained wholly within it.

I'd agree with Greg that that seems the simplest solution.

(NB: I've no idea what Linux or Solaris do. However, it should be
fairly easy to do up a little test client to run on the various
arches.. if needs be.)

> Regards,
> Andy

"An open mind has but one disadvantage: it collects dirt."
-- a saying at RPI