[quagga-dev 3682] Re: BGP distribution into OSPF / next-hop is dropped?

Paul Jakma paul at clubi.ie
Sun Sep 25 14:32:15 BST 2005

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005, Hasso Tepper wrote:

> Advertising router is to specify router-id of OSPF router which originates
> route into OSPF domain. From RFC2328 (12.1.5):
>
> "This field specifies the OSPF Router ID of the LSA's originator."

But you can set the forwarding-address (the next-hop field
essentially) of the external-LSA to whatever you want, including to a
next-hop other than your own (not a particularly good idea, ISTR).

> I'm not aware of any standard behaviours which could handle this
> (IMHO stupid) situation. In theory you can handle this situation
> with tags though.

Nah, can do it with forwarding-address too I think.

But that raises the question:

when redistributing BGP into OSPF, exactly what should be given as
the next-hop? The BGP NEXT_HOP or the resolved on-link next-hop?

I think people'd get annoyed if it was anything but the latter..

Good day for a change of scene.  Repaper the bedroom wall.