[quagga-dev 3946] point-to-point interfaces on linux/ospf

J.J. Krabbendam jkrabbendam at aimsys.nl
Mon Feb 13 21:42:27 GMT 2006

Hi,

I already asked the quagga-users list about this issue, but now I dived
into the code and therefore I want to pose the question here as well.

I want to connect two linux ospf routers using (unnumbered)
point-to-point interfaces. All point-to-point interfaces on a router
should have the same ip-address assigned.
Eg I have three point-to-point connections (using pppd)  from R1 to R2.
The p2p interfaces on R1 have address 1.0.0.254 and on R2 they have the
address 2.0.0.254.

At first I saw only ospf enabled on the first p2p interface. I made a
kludge (using ifindex) and saw hello's be sent out on all three p2p
interfaces. However, as soon as the system starts sending  database
description packets, they are only sent on ppp0 and not on ppp1 and
ppp2. I have been looking at ospf_write() in ospf_packet.c. For
multicast addresses, each time a call to ospf_if_ipmulticast() is done
that ends in doing a setsockopt() with IP_MULTICAST_IF using the
ifindex. But it seens to only work for multicast addresses, not for
unicast.

I tried also the call setsockopt_ifindex() but it does not seem to
accept an ifindex. So I more or less ran out of options.

Question: how do I send a unicast packet to a specific network interface
using my setup or is it not possible?

Thanks,

Jaap Krabbendam.

--
This message has been scanned for viruses and is believed to be clean