[quagga-dev 4141] Re: example libzebra zclient utility

Paul Jakma paul at clubi.ie
Mon May 15 17:23:21 BST 2006

On Mon, 15 May 2006, Andrew J. Schorr wrote:

> On Sun, May 14, 2006 at 03:15:47PM +0100, Paul Jakma wrote:
>> Also, I'd like to add a completion message to zserv, something like:
>>
>>  ZEBRA_COMMAND_COMPLETE
>>  <command which completed>
>>  <optional command specific completion data>
>>
>> so that I can get rid of the timer in quagga.c, thoughts/objections?
>
> That seems to make sense.

Something like (bit of a bag of stuff, still splitting it up):

  http://hibernia.jakma.org/~paul/patches/zserv-completion-wip.diff

Note that 'quagga{,cli,tool,cmd,whatever}' now takes arguments like:

  -r 'any,!bgp'
  -i 'eth*'
  -i '!bge[0-9]'

;)

ObFuture: One of our mid-term goals is to make Quagga be controllable
via command-line tools. "So you configure it by *telneting* to it?"
was a question that came up (again) in the Sun PSARC meeting for
Quagga. ;)

Short-term, ad-hoc zserv commands will do fine however longer-term
it'd be nice to use a more general protocol, one well-supported with
bindings in popular languages. Thoughts on what would be a good
choice for that protocol would be nice (Sun RPC? :) D-Bus? ???)

> That's precisely the patch that inspired my remark. :-)

Hehe, question is how to provide the string tailored for the client..

Captain Penny's Law:
 	You can fool all of the people some of the
 	time, and some of the people all of the
 	time, but you can't fool mom.