[quagga-dev 4439] zebra crashes do not dump core

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Tue Oct 17 21:13:31 BST 2006

On our wireless testbed, sometimes the zebra daemon crashes with a
segmentation fault.  (I am running Quagga 0.99.5 on NetBSD-current.)
I need a core file to find and repair the bug, but the crash does not
produce a core file.  Do I need to configure zebra in a special way to
get a core file?

Here are some relevant log messages:

Sep 26 19:19:58 cuw zebra[1690]: Received signal 11 at 1159316398 (si_addr 0x0); aborting...
Sep 26 19:19:58 cuw /netbsd: pid 1690 (zebra), uid 1014: exited on signal 6 (core not dumped, err = 1)

I thought the lack of core file might have something to do with zebra
trapping SIGSEGV (see log message, above), but if I run 'pkill -ABRT
zebra', I also do not get a core file.

BTW, on my routers, all programs should drop their cores in /var/core/,
whose permissions are 0777.  Zebra runs as root.  There is enough free
space for other daemons to drop a core.

Dave