[quagga-dev 4372] Re: bgpd printf size_t warning

Paul Jakma paul at clubi.ie
Wed Sep 20 14:44:56 BST 2006

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006, Andrew J. Schorr wrote:

> That begs the question: are you aware of any platforms where a
> size_t has more bits than an unsigned long (since you seem to be
> suggesting that this patch is not generally OK)?  I was assuming
> that does not happen, but perhaps I'm mistaken...

Seems unlikely alright.

That said there are funny ABIs like MIPS n32 which are nominally
ILP32 but also allow some 64bit types. But even that one size_t is <=
long.

Such an ABI would theoretically be possible with AMD64 too, but none
has ever been defined (sadly, imho. Most applications don't need
64bit pointers.).

All right, I have thought this through.  I will send Bart the money to
fly home, then I will murder him.

 		-- Homer Simpson
 		   Bart on the Road