[quagga-dev 4392] Re: bgpd printf size_t warning

Paul Jakma paul at clubi.ie
Sat Sep 23 17:43:12 BST 2006

On Sat, 23 Sep 2006, Andrew J. Schorr wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 09:06:09PM +0100, Paul Jakma wrote:
>> I'd prefer the cast to %z right now, just not supported widely
>> enough.

Oops, I meant %lu.

> But that's not really a problem unless you're worried that casting
> a size_t to u_long is somehow problematic.  I don't see anything
> wrong with casting size_t to u_long, unless we end up trying to
> support a platform where size_t is wider than u_long.  Are you
> aware of any such platforms?

No, that's not my concern though.

My concern is that it will becom really difficult to find all the
printf()'s if/when %z becomes useable. Right now, it's obvious where
they are ;).

I.e. my concerns centre on the warnings actually having a (future)
use. :)

> So I see the opposite: the warning message persists on ILP32, but the
> warning message goes away on LP64...

Ah, of course yes. And %u makes it the other way around.

"Don't try to outweird me, three-eyes.  I get stranger things than you free
with my breakfast cereal."
- Zaphod Beeblebrox in "Hithiker's Guide to the Galaxy"