[quagga-dev 5045] Re: Extracting routes from bgpd

Paul Jakma paul at clubi.ie
Fri Aug 31 15:38:32 BST 2007

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007, Brighten Godfrey wrote:

> I know how to run only bgpd and turn off insertion of routes into
> the kernel. The question is, how do I extract the route updates as
> they're happening?

If you're running only bgpd, your choices are:

- MRT dumps (gets you everything though)
- implement the zebra side of ZServ and have bgpd communicate with
   your zebra-like daemon.

in the latter case you'd probably be better off just modifying zebra,
it depends what you want to do.

> Is it enough for me to observe the changes that pass through
> `bgp_zebra_withdraw' and `bgp_zebra_announce' in bgp_zebra.c in
> order to get a full trace of which routes bgpd is selecting for
> each destination over time?  Any gotchas I should watch out for?

We're not always very clever about updating routes. You may see route
delete/add messages, where the route was only ever updated..

> A second question -- does Quagga support a minimum route
> advertisement interval (MRAI)?  I haven't found mention of it one
> way or the other, so I'm guessing the answer is no...  How hard
> would that be to add?

Yes it does, but globally for a given peer, not per-prefix or
anything fancy: grep -i for 'routeadv'.

"If a computer can't directly address all the RAM you can use, it's just a toy."
-- anonymous comp.sys.amiga posting, non-sequitir