[quagga-dev 5031] Re: Enable ospf on PPP unnumbered interfaces

Paul Jakma Paul.Jakma at Sun.COM
Fri Aug 10 16:12:20 BST 2007

On Thu, 9 Aug 2007, atchuta ramaraju dantuluri wrote:

> I am trying to configure ospf on ppp interfaces, but these interfaces
> doesnot have any ip addresses and these ppp interfaes alway get ip
> address of eth0. So when i enable ospf on interface eth0 it enables
> ospf on eth0 and ospf is enables on other ppp interfaces also. because
> ppp interfaces have eth0 ip address. Please help me in configuring
> ospf on ppp interfaces.

We don't, at this time, support having OSPF enabled on more than one
interface for any given IP address - a pre-requisite for OSPF over such
'unnumbered' interfaces. You'll have to ensure each interface has a
unique identifying address.

I'm not 100% sure, but using PtP addressing and ensuring that at least
the remote, peer IP is unique for each PPP address, /may/ work - even
with a shared local IP.

Full unnumbered support is something we'd like to have, but I'm not
aware of anyone who is working on it.

Paul Jakma,
Solaris Networking                       Sun Microsystems, Scotland
http://opensolaris.org/os/project/quagga tel: EMEA x73150 / +44 15066 73150