[quagga-dev 5043] Extracting routes from bgpd

Brighten Godfrey pbg at cs.berkeley.edu
Fri Aug 31 11:03:22 BST 2007

Hello,

I'm planning to use Quagga for a routing research project.  To do
this I need to use my own custom forwarding plane, rather than having
Quagga insert routes into the kernel's table (since I'll essentially
be using Quagga as a router for an overlay network).

I know how to run only bgpd and turn off insertion of routes into the
kernel.  The question is, how do I extract the route updates as
they're happening?  Is it enough for me to observe the changes that
pass through `bgp_zebra_withdraw' and `bgp_zebra_announce' in
bgp_zebra.c in order to get a full trace of which routes bgpd is
selecting for each destination over time?  Any gotchas I should watch
out for?

A second question -- does Quagga support a minimum route
advertisement interval (MRAI)?  I haven't found mention of it one way
or the other, so I'm guessing the answer is no...  How hard would
that be to add?

Thanks for your time!
Brighten Godfrey