[quagga-dev 4592] Re: Which Linux Kernel Version?

Paul Jakma paul at clubi.ie
Tue Feb 27 13:09:14 GMT 2007

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007, Daniel Ng wrote:

> It works! Thanks.
>
>> Something appears to have been roken with gcc and/or the kernel
>> headers on Fedora Core 6.
>
> How did you know this? My development platform Fedora Core 5, and my kernel
> header files are from ELDK V4 ie. Linux-2.6.14.
>
> My gcc is gcc-4.0.0-glibc-2.3.5-eldk.

I had to compile on an FC6 box for testing and Quagga failed to
compile by default. After much fruitless tinkering, editing the
ifdefs in the Linux kernel header that seems to trigger the problem,
I noticed that an rpmbuild of the quagga tarball worked.

The difference seems to be due to the '-std=c99' argument we pass to
GCC, if you change that to -std=gnu99 it works.

I think that's a recentish change in GCC, no idea what it involves
though or why it has an effect on gcc rejecting includes of Linux
kernel headers..

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.