[quagga-dev 5303] Re: how to communicate with quagga daemons?

Emmanuel Vize emmanuel.vize at 6wind.com
Wed Apr 16 06:51:31 BST 2008

Hi HuHao,

Quagga offers another approach:
You can access directly each daemon during runtime and configure it.
You can use vtysh to access the CLI of zebra. The commands you type here
will be sent to the corresponding daemons.
Or you can have a direct access to each daemon, via a telnet socket.
Each daemon has its own dedicated port
telnet 127.0.0.1 2605 : bgp,  2602 for RIP, 2603 for RIPNG, 2604 for
OSPF, 2606 for OSPF6, 2608 for IS-IS.

Once your there, you have a CLI close to the CISCO CLI. And you can
change your configurations dynamically.

Your C program could open a TCP session with the quagga daemons and send
the new commands.
Or, more simply, you can write the configuration in a file, and send
this file to vtysh  (try vtysh -help).

Regards,
Emmanuel