[quagga-dev 5307] Re: intermittent communication between bgpd and zebra?

Andrew J. Schorr aschorr at telemetry-investments.com
Fri Apr 18 13:41:08 BST 2008

Hi Ray,

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 01:32:54AM -0400, Ray Barnes wrote:
> The problem I'm having is that if I start bgpd
> before zebra, those routes will never get propagated into zebra if they
> don't change.

I believe that it is necessary to start zebra before bgpd.
IIRC, when bgpd starts, it will make a few attempts to contact zebra,
and then give up.  This is done by calling lib/zclient.c:zclient_init
from bgp_zebra_init.

In general, zebra needs to be started before the other daemons.
If, for example, you were to use 'watchquagga -A' to manage your daemons,
you would get the proper behavior.  For example, on my linux FC6
box, this does the trick:

   watchquagga -d -Az -b_ -r/sbin/service_%s_restart -s/sbin/service_%s_start \
   		-k/sbin/service_%s_stop zebra bgpd

Regards,
Andy