[quagga-dev 5512] Re: ospf network command w.r.t unnumberd interfaces

Andrew J. Schorr aschorr at telemetry-investments.com
Thu Jun 19 17:46:29 BST 2008

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 05:58:24PM +0200, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> ah, I think I/we will get away with running OSPF on all matching ptp
> links. However, we don't configure the remote address, instead we let
> ppp auto discover the remote IP when the link comes up. This is a
> problem as we want to configure as much as possible at startup.

If you just want to run OSPF everywhere (on all interfaces),
then I guess 'network 0.0.0.0/0 area 0' should work.  You could
then remove certain interfaces with the 'passive-interface' command.

> > If the goal is to explicitly specify the interfaces that ospf
> > should run on, then it would probably be best to implement
> > the 'ip ospf area' interface subcommand (as opposed to
> > playing with the syntax of the network router subcommand).
> > When 'ip ospf area' is specified, this should take precedence
> > over the 'network area' commands (for that interface).
>
> I will probably have to look at this due to the above problem. In
> general I want config to depend as little as possible on remote config
> as this makes configuration much easier for us.
>
> I googled 'ip ospf area' and found this link:
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_0s/feature/guide/ospfarea.html
> Is this a good description for this command?

I guess so, although I might look in the 12.4 (most recent) docs
instead of 12.0.  Here's a link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/iproute/command/reference/irp_osp1.html#wp1013708

I didn't look closely, but it seems stable.

Regards,
Andy