[quagga-dev 5520] Re: ospf network command w.r.t unnumberd interfaces

paul at clubi.ie paul at clubi.ie
Sun Jun 22 16:53:02 BST 2008

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:

>> If you need to change your config in response to interfaces going
>> up and down, then I guess you could use quagga SNMP features to
>> detect when this happens.  Or on linux you could use the '/sbin/ip
>> monitor' command. Or you could have a telnet client that connects
>> to zebra and turns on some debugging flags in order to get notices
>> when interfaces go up and down.

> We have extended the zebra/ospf command socket interface to
> fit our app. Basically we have a CLI for our product and our
> customers configure all aspects of our eq. via this CLI.  Still trying
> to figure out this extension though.

Interesting in a few ways.

On the question of interface up/down notification: It'd be nice, at
least for Quagga, to move this notification out of Zserv and zebra/
and into a small, cross-platform library with some sensible API.
Interface state isn't privileged, and it'd be nice to avoid the Zserv
latency (particularly for things like OSPF).

Not urgent, but if anyone's looking for a project..

 	http://www.quagga.net/commercial.php#jakma
Fortune:
Lo!  Men have become the tool of their tools.
 		-- Henry David Thoreau