[quagga-dev 5845] Re: Update: unnumbered PtP support for OSPF.

paul at clubi.ie paul at clubi.ie
Mon Sep 1 17:18:23 BST 2008

On Mon, 1 Sep 2008, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:

> If you had, I would have started my new tree from there so it that
> is not a problem.

Sure, but you can't know what I've done locally.

> Also, I haven't asked you to pull anything yet.

Ah.. Ok. You don't expect me to pull except on explicit request. See,
there's an assumption ;)

> I sent a few patches that needs to go in first and which I think is
> safe. I sent those first few because I have a hard time to get
> anything into the tree.

> I know I don't have a history with Quagga so you obviously
> need to look extra on my patches, but this is getting a bit
> annoying as not even the simplest SEGV bug fix has gone in or
> commented upon.

Patience young grass hopper. :)

Thanks for seperating out the obvious stuff. I can see you've pulled
the obvious fixes back into your own unnumbered tree, so you're not
blocked on these getting into 'master'.

>> We need to work out some kind of protocol here..

> Yeah, for now I am happy with either patches or if you
> cherry-pick/rebase your self. That way Quagga will still have a
> nice linear history.

Well, let's be clear: I don't think it's possible to keep a linear
history. We could try fake such a history, but why go to the bother?
If some work gets done alongside the 'master' branch before
eventually being included, I don't see a problem with the history of
'master' reflecting that.

> However my repo contains extra stuff that isn't ready for general
> consumption (The auto-unnumber command, not sure this is a good
> idea yet) so if you feel ready to integrate Unnumbered support, I
> can prepare a patch series with only relevant stuff in it.

Well, how well tested is the unnumbered stuff at the moment?

E.g. I'm not in a position to test ospfd very well at the moment, so
I'm really curious to hear from people trying out your work first.
(Has anyone ever looked at using tun/tap and some kind of virtual
switch for testing ospfd? Anyone know of generic tun/tap switches?).

In case you think I'm picking on you, I and other maintainers have
maintained patches (i.e. branches) outside of CVS HEAD for prolonged
periods of time (indeed, I've got patches I use, which I never got to
put back). That kind of thing is perfectly normal, particularly with
more non-obvious patches.

What would you expect to gain from XIP besides being buzzword
compliant?

 	- Erik Mouw on linux-arm-kernel