[quagga-dev 6511] Re: About IP numbered and unnumbered

Joakim Tjernlund Joakim.Tjernlund at transmode.se
Sun Apr 19 18:52:49 BST 2009

quagga-dev-bounces at lists.quagga.net wrote on 19/04/2009 16:19:19:

> Hi,
>
> I noticed the question about IP numbered and unnumbered in your last
mail. And I've got a question here, can IP unnumbered be configured on
Ethernet interfaces(I'm using a laptop only with Ethernet interfaces)? Or
it can only apply to Serial interfaces(as I searched on the net and the
answers seem
> to be so)?

Not currently. There is an RFC that suggests that one should be able to
treat an ethernet interface
as a PtoP interface, but that is not impl. AFAIK yet.

> It seems that only if I give IP addresses to my Ethernet interfaces can
the routing software work...

You still, in Quagga, need an IP address for unnumbered but it can be the
same IP address for all
interfaces.