[quagga-dev 6546] Re: show running-config and default values

Joakim Tjernlund joakim.tjernlund at transmode.se
Thu May 7 07:45:09 BST 2009

lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Lennart Sorensen) wrote on 06/05/2009
16:32:31:

> On Wed, May 06, 2009 at 11:28:13AM +0200, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> > show running-config does not show any config for some
> > items if these has been configred to default values.
> > For instance, do
> >  interface eth0
> >   ip ospf priority 1
> >   ip ospf cost 10
> >
> > then do a show running-config and you will
> > see "ip ospf cost 10" but not "ip ospf priority 1"
> >
> > I feel hiding "ip ospf priority 1" in show running config
> > from the user is a bug. Makes it harder to know what is actually
> > configured and if default values are changed in quagga, your
> > config will silently change to the new default value,
> > even if you have given "ip ospf priority 1" manually
> >
> > Comments? If no objections I will prepare patches to
> > change the behaviour.
>
> It is standard cisco style command line behaviour to be brief by only
> showing those items that are set to a non default value.

Even if the user has issued a "ip ospf priority 1" it will not show up in
running-config?
Note that this is also the config that is saved to file.

> Makes it much easier to see the stuff you care about (since after all
> the defaults generally aren't that interesting).

yes, but not when you have configured it manually.
Suppose I really want to use prio 1, how do I protect myself
from future change of default value?
Am I required to learn all default values by heart to truly know
my config?
I cannot rely on "show ip ospf interface" either as this command
only lists such config iff the interface is up and OSPF is active.

> I know some systems have an option to make them show all the values
> even if they are defaults, although I have never checked if quagga
> supports that.

Such option should not be needed according to my reasoning above.

 Jocke