[quagga-dev 7440] Re: (no subject)

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Mon Nov 30 18:03:14 GMT 2009

Nick Hilliard <nick at inex.ie> writes:

> On 30/11/2009 17:21, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
>> linux 2.4 is still in use today because it is much smaller.
>
> Does the sort of glibc that you would use on a linux 2.4 support pthreads?
>
> let me rephrase: does it support pthreads in a way which is bug-fix
> compatible with current versions of glibc or other libcs which are in use
> on more modern versions of linux?
>
> As another important issue to add to Greg's questions: how inter-compatible
> are the various pthread implementations used by the various operating
> systems that quagga supports?
>
> Nick
> (note: I have an axe to grind in this particular issue)

If one writes to the POSIX pthread standard, all should be ok on systems
that support it.  NetBSD used to abort a program when it invoked an
operation which had undefined behavior according to the spec (unlocking
an unlocked mutex, etc.), but that was changed because so many programs
tested only on Linux (which treats those operations as nops) were buggy.

But the notion that all environments of interest support pthreads is not
clearly ok to me.