[quagga-dev 7295] Re: bgp confederation error handling

Timo Teräs timo.teras at iki.fi
Sun Oct 11 09:25:12 BST 2009

Hi,

On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 7:12 PM, Nick Hilliard <nick at inex.ie> wrote:
> On 10/10/2009 12:43, Vasilis Tsiligiannis wrote:
>> Yes, it's intentional. That's what RFC1771 dictates on Section 3: "If a
>> connection encounters an error condition, a notification message is sent and
>> the connection is closed."
>
> This policy is currently considered to be a bad one.  Why should a single
> dud entry in a bgp feed cause session tear-down?  Much better to just drop
> it on the floor and not close the connection.

Right. Ok. So what happened is that I have a bunch of old quaggas running.
I upgraded one of the "core" routers that stopped accepting any BGP
connections due to this: all the old routers where happily exchanging the
bad prefix that originated from single badly configured node.

It is actually a misconfiguration in completely separate place which confused
me in the first place.

I think I know what to fix now and how. Might be an idea to add a bit more
message about what was the bad prefix, and that it resulted the whole
connection being dropped. Or just drop that specific prefix.

Thanks,
  Timo