[quagga-dev 8145] Re: adding new commands to quagga

bored to death bored_to_death85 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 11 08:22:10 BST 2010

Hi,

thank you for your replies.

first, about "http://www.quagga.net/zhh.html" document, i knew about it and
tried to use it a while ago. it seemed like a good place to start, but the
problem was, it's (i think) really outdated (it's published on  2001, February
and it's written for zebra.) the result is many of functions, constants and
variables are now different from what it says and you can't really follow the
steps in the article because of this. plus, it focused on writing a new daemon
and therefore, it doesn't say much about existing daemons and how to make
changes in them. doesn't any newer version of this document exist?

---
second, about adding commands,  your posts gave me some hints about how to add
commands to config. though i couldn't do what i want yet, but i keep on working
on that. (there is no straight-forward path to do this it seems)

what i did is:
-i defined and registered "firewall disable".
-i added a struct to keep status of my configurations (right now, it has one
member like "int firewall_disable" which can have one of two values :1 or 0, and
this shows me if "firewall disable" command is executed or not. ( of course
later i have to check if system really disabled my firewall or not before
changing this member's value))
-i added some lines in "vtysh_config_write()" function in "vtysh_config.c" to
send my command to "vtysh_config_parse_line()" if "firewall_disable" has value
of 1.
-i added some lines in "vtysh_config_parse_line()" function to add line to
config (config_add_line (config->line, line)) if input line is "firewall
disable"

these steps makes my command to go to running-config whenever i execute my
"firewall disable" command. but still, when i type "write" it's not being
written to any of config files. i'm working on it to see what else should i do.
(the "ip_forwarding" code helped, but i couldn't understand the role of
FORWARDING_NODE and "config_write_forwarding()", and many other commands doesn't
have these 2 parts.)

can anyone tell me what else should i do (for example what functions should i
use), if i want my command to be added to config of an existing daemon (for
example zebra)

Cheers.