[quagga-dev 8158] Re: How to do Unit & Functionality testing of Quagga

Ashok . ashokj1125 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 00:11:59 BST 2010

Hi Balaji & All,

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 5:13 PM, Balaji G <balajig81 at gmail.com> wrote:

> >Here Qemu provides some mechanism to forward packets, no need of OSPF,BGP,
> or some routing protocols
>
> Qemu has nothing to do with forwarding packets nor with protocols either.
> Qemu is an emulator which would emulate x86 or other architectures. Read up
> on qemu networking
>
> http://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/Networking

 I confused with the steps 6 in this document
http://www.h7.dion.ne.jp/~qemu-win/TapWin32-en.html 6. Using Tap with VLAN

Use one Tap for Win32 Adapter and two guest OSes.

                                             ICS
     Redhat1  NE2000 ----------- Host TAP --------- Host NIC --------
Router------ Internet
        192.168.0.2       |    192.168.0.1       192.168.100.2
192.168.100.1
                          |      (fixed)                            (DNS server)
               Redhat2 NE2000
                      192.168.0.3

It is necessary to set ICS to browse the Internet. See above. IP
address of Tap for Win32 is fixed to 192.168.0.1.

Command line options are:

term1$ qemu -L ./pc-bios -hda redhat1.img -net nic -net tap,ifname=my-tap
                  -net socket,listen=localhost:1234
term2$ qemu -L ./pc-bios -hda redhat2.img -net nic,macaddr=52:54:00:12:34:01
                  -net socket,connect=localhost:1234

Qemu provides all this support for routing packets between 2 different
subnets.
I don't see any importance for Quagga's BGP here. (or) I could not make
difference between what Qemu provides & what BGP can do .

I understand that this is my home work and I have to do it on my own.
As I am confused with this, I would appreciate a little help here.
(or)  if you know of any link on how to configure Qemu for Quagga step by
step, that would be great.

thanks
Ashok