[quagga-dev 8184] Re: request for testing

Nick Hilliard nick at inex.ie
Thu Aug 26 00:53:59 BST 2010

On 25/08/2010 23:12, Chris Hall wrote:
> I'm not sure how to distinguish between a broken peer and a peer which is
> passing on a mixture of broken stuff and valid stuff.

The problem we're encountering here is that RFC 4271 specifies:

"If a connection encounters an error condition, a NOTIFICATION message is
sent and the connection is closed."

Section 3, top of page 9.  Further blather is available in section 6.3
(page 32).

I would hazard a guess that the point of session teardown in the case of
errors like this is to help ensure state consistency.

So, the patch would seem to be correct, rfc-wise.  We may not like it from
an operational point of view, but it is consistent with what the designers
of BGP believe to be correct behaviour.

Nick