[quagga-dev 7795] Re: Split up patches (was: IPv6 Multicast Hop Limit for OSPFv3)

David Lamparter equinox at diac24.net
Thu Feb 11 16:05:26 GMT 2010

Hi Mike,

Am Mittwoch, den 10.02.2010, 23:50 -0800 schrieb Mike Pontillo:
>    I went ahead and took this approach; patch attached. I went ahead
> and removed a little bit of dead code while I was in there.
>
>    I tested the IPv6 version of the new sockopt_mcast_ttl() call via
> OSPFv3. The IPv4 version remains untested, but I don't see why it
> won't work. =)

As a general hint to you and everyone else submitting patches: if you
can break them in parts, do so. If you can break the parts, break them
further.

The patches may depend on each other, no problem if #2 doesn't work if
#1 is missing; however each patch should leave the tree in a buildable,
working state (exceptions to this are very rare).

The point of this is that e.g. the first half of you patch can be merged
very easily since the consequences are foreseeable. The second half -
not that much, it _might_ break some compatibility.

In your case, Mike: make 2 or 3 patches:
#1: the new sockunion function
#2: ospf6_set_reuseaddr removal (this could be merged into patch #1,
both are very small overseeable)
#3: insertion of call to sockopt_mcast_ttl

This way even if there's some more thinking about patch #3, #1 and #2
can go in immediately. Also, if a different approach about #3 turns out
to be better (e.g. adding an "ipv6 ospf ttl X" command or something), we
can easily change that.

I understand this might cause a little more work for you on submitting
the patch; however, if everyone does this, it takes a LOT of work off
the maintainer's shoulders :)

-David