[quagga-dev 8038] Re: configure bgp multiple instance

paul at jakma.org paul at jakma.org
Fri Jun 18 10:50:56 BST 2010

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010, Jiangtao Yin wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm running into problems with running multiple BGP instances. When
> I configured multiple views and all views had the same neighbor
> (this configure is very similar to example in official
> documentation of quagga, (section 9.13.3 Routing policy) ), I found
> only the first view could establish connection with that neighbor.
> I used quagga 0.99.10. My configure file is as follows:

> router bgp 7675 view 1
> bgp router-id 192.168.0.12
> neighbor 192.168.0.13 remote-as 7675
> !
> router bgp 7675 view 2
> bgp router-id 192.168.0.12
> neighbor 192.168.0.13 remote-as 7675
>
> Only view 1 had connection with 192.168.0.13.

Yes. BGP connections are associated with views by the (local,remote)
IP tuple. You need to ensure this tuple differs for each view, either
by changing the remote peer address or by changing the local address
with update-source.

Note that some BGP implementations may associate just by (remote) IP,
which means using a different local IP on your multi-instance BGP may
be required (i.e. it's most likely to work).

Paul Jakma	paul at jakma.org	Key ID: 64A2FF6A
Fortune:
All God's children are not beautiful.  Most of God's children are, in fact,
barely presentable.
 		-- Fran Lebowitz, "Metropolitan Life"