[quagga-dev 8362] Re: quagga snmp

David Lamparter equinox at diac24.net
Fri Nov 19 12:29:44 GMT 2010

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 12:43:59PM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 06:00:27PM +0100, David Lamparter wrote:
> > I've done some work on implementing AgentX support for quagga, but for
> > some reason i never got snmpd to dispatch requests to me; since my time
> > is limited i gave up trying to debug it. I didn't get very far.
> >
> > Generally, implementing AgentX support is probably the most sensible way
> > to do this. You do NOT want to implement an SNMP agent directly into
> > quagga.
> >
> > I can push my git branch of this if you're interested.
>
> But doesn't AgentX imply net-snmp?

Nope, AgentX is an IETF wg and specified in RFCs 2741 and 2742. net-snmp
is the only open source snmpd to implement it to my knowledge; however
that might be mostly because other FOSS snmpds are "mini" snmpds.

> That's certainly something I wouldn't
> recommend dealing with (never mind the license issue involved in the
> net-snmp+libssl+quagga linking).

Which is why i decided to implement AgentX on my own, without relying on
any net-snmp code :) ... really didn't get far though.

-David