[quagga-dev 8732] Re: BGP timer

Paul Jakma paul at jakma.org
Tue May 31 12:43:53 BST 2011

On Sat, 28 May 2011, Huq A. 1 wrote:

> 1. Does Quagga sent out update messages right after something has
> changed? Or does it do so after a certain period of time?

> 2. Is there a minimum interval time between 2 consecutive update messages?

BGP specifies there should be a "Minimum Route Advertisement Interval"
(MRAI) - a minimum period of time between advertisements of the same
prefix. The currently specified time is 30s for eBGP and 5s for iBGP,
which is likely far too high for most use cases. Quagga implements this,
but we may lower the values in some future release (e.g. to 5s and 0s -
but that's another discussion). Quagga also applies this to sending of
withdrawals, IIRC (as do other implementations).

> 3. Is there any way to set a timer so that Quagga sends update messages
> after a time interval of my choosing.

You can change the MRAI with 'neighbour .... advertisement-interval ...'.

Paul Jakma  paul at jakma.org  twitter: @pjakma  PGP: 64A2FF6A
Fortune:
He who fears the unknown may one day flee from his own backside.
 		-- Sinbad